Happy Mental Health Monday and MLK Day, CHOW Community! Here’s to another great week ahead, full of wellness, discovery, support and community.
As we reflect on Dr. King’s role in the fight against racial inequality, we honor his memory by sharing this sermon with you. The Martin Luther King Jr. holiday is an official day of service and celebrates the civil rights leader’s life and legacy.
The Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service is a defining moment each year when Americans across the country step up to make our communities more equitable and take action.
How will you celebrate and take action today?
CHOW call to action
Event Planning Committee – Part Time, Volunteer Positions
We are creating an event planning committee to help CHOW host a fundraising event next year, 2022. We have an event coordinator hired to do the heavy lifting. We need your creativity and connections! We already have some ideas but need volunteers who are passionate about changing mental health and substance abuse in the hospitality industry to help. The ideal candidates for membership on this committee will be some of the following:
- Friendly and outgoing
- Have the unique ability to not give up after four people say ‘no’ because they recognize that the next person they talk to may solve all of their problems!
- Creative, fun and possess excellent communication skills (verbal and written.)
- Know how to ask for stuff…and get it for free! Not any easy task per se, but in this job a little charm goes a long way!
One person can’t do it all. If a few of these bullet points describe you, please apply to join our planning committee. Contact for more info
Education Committee – Part Time, Volunteer PositionsCHOW is seeking volunteers to serve on an education committee to help CHOW create a manual for wellness and review our mental health Amuse course.
The ideal candidates will possess one or all of the following:
- Lived experience with mental health or recovery
- Work experience in hospitality/restaurants
- Recognizes all pathways to recovery, i.e., harm reduction
- Find joy in learning and/or teaching
- Respect for evidence based practices set forth by SAMHSA/ Mental Health America, etc.
- Passion for creating mental health, wellness, and recovery friendly workplaces
- Actively desire to participate in brainstorming discussions; expresses ideas and feedback
- Good content review/editing skills
If any of these bullet points describe you, please apply to join CHOW’s education committee. Contact for more info
Feel free to e-mail email@example.com for more information about both positions!
Join us for a meeting!
All of our IN PERSON locations are currently hosting HYBRID meetings!
This means that you can join in on ANY CHOW meeting you like, from the comfort of your home.
What can you expect from a CHOW meeting?
- They have been described as a “post shift hang out without the drinks”!
- They typically last 60 minutes
- They are attended by a Peer Support Specialist who can offer extra support for anyone who needs it!
- They start with an ice breaker (these are super fun, I promise!)
- The ice breaker leads into a conversational topic
- Sharing or speaking up is NOT MANDATORY – you can join in and just listen to test the waters!
- Sobriety is NOT REQUIRED – show up how you are, wherever you are in your journey!
- CHOW meetings are open to all and all are welcome!
Visit http://www.chowco.org/meetings to find a time that suits you!
embark PCA news
Have a wonderful week!